Guest Speaker: The Honorable Kristin H. Ruth, a district court judge in Wake County, who is also running for the NC Court of Appeals will be presenting a program she has established in Wake County to assist in the enforcement of child support. Judge Ruth has been instrumental in implementing alternatives to incarceration and promotes employment resources, electronic house arrest and mediation in the disposition of her cases. In 2000, Judge Ruth was awarded the North Carolina Child Support Council’s Distinguish Service of Excellence Award, in 2003 she received the national American Business Woman of the Year Award by the American Business Women’s Association, and in 2004, Judge Ruth was awarded the Commissioner’s Judge of the Year Award presented by the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement in Washington, DC.
She currently serves on the board for Carolina Dispute Settlement Services, Carolina Correctional Services, National Council for Juvenile and Family Court Judges, the Federal Child Support Task Force and the Chief Justice’s Commission for Professionalism.
Announcement: Thursday, October 18th, The Honorable Ruth Ginsburg, Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court will be speaking at the Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa. The reception begins at 4:30 pm, followed by a Conversation and a Dinner at 6:30 pm. The cost of the dinner is $50.00 and the registration deadline is October 9th. To RSVP, call the NC Bar Association at 800-228-3402 and for hotel reservations, call the Grove Park at 800-438-0050. If you are interested in attending, please contact Taylor, as she is planning on driving.
Mark your Calendar: Friday October 26. Cabarrus Bar Association CLE. Free for all members.
Sunday, August 19, 2007
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Guest Speaker: Jill Stevenson of Piedmont Behavioral Healthcare. Ms. Stevenson, whose office is located in Cabarrus County, discussed mental illness within the criminal justice system and the diversion programs available to assist clients who have been identified with having severe and persistent mental illness. To request a jail diversion screening, call the PBH 24 hour access line at 1-800-939-5911. Additional information can be found on their website: www.dhhs.state.nc.us/mhddsas/jaildiversion
- New Fax Number to the Special Proceedings/ Estates Section of the Clerk's Office is 704-782-4680.
- Limited Driving Privileges issued by the court now require a $100.00 processing fee. See NCGS 20-20.2
- Preview of Speakers and Topics for CLE to be held on October 26th. There is one slot open which we will need to fill. If anyone has a recommendation for a presenter, please submit that request to Taylor Conner by August 24th.
- Social Event-Discussion of a Tennis Tournament. Possible date: Sept. 27 Brackets will likely be set up to accomodate Doubles.
- The Christmas Party is scheduled for Dec. 13 at the Speedway Club. We are still looking for persons interested in helping with the planning.